To start off, this is not a “I’m quitting” post - don’t worry. But this should clear up why I’m ‘ignoring’ some actions.
But with some recent family events that have transpired, and also inspired by Jeff Geerlng’s Just Say No, I’ve ended up dedicating way more time to my coding than I actually have.
So this is a message to say - I’m slowing down. I need to take some time to tend to my family, and to tend to myself. I’ve been previously dealing with some emotional issues and stress by plunging myself into solving technical problems, but I’ve recently been discovering how unhealthy this was, and has accumulated into some very minor health issues. All stuff I’m working on fixing.
However a bigger challenge has popped up with a loved one of mine, and will mean that they will need some care for a while. And with that I have decided that for my own health and to dedicate the right amount of time to it, my outside-work coding activites must slow down.
This is by no means an end, but just a warning that I will be slowing down, and may be unavilable for some periods of time for the foreseeable.
Specifically, this will mean for the main projects:
- ReviveToday has been sunset from June 2023.
- In the early part of this year, the site boomed and started getting me heat from various communities over the slow progress of the site. After seeing lots of Subreddits and Discord channels discussing this (and a DCMA request - fun), I figured it was better to leave the scene to those more capable.
- The Discord was taken under new ownership, but I’ve been given to understand that the Discord has now since been closed.
- Liked the site? the code is open-source (content is under a CC license).
- WordPress Simple SMTP will be in bugfix state.
- This regards a pause/slowdown to enhancements only. The plugin is still supported and in active development.
- Enhancements and their Pull Requests actions are halted for the time being, as I won’t have time to give them the review depths they will need. I would recommend people who wish to make significant enhancement changes to the codebase instead create and maintain a fork of the plugin (please still report bugs).
- Modern Modoki is also in bugfix.
- Seriously though, I will find a way to fix that damn menu button bug.
- I was working on some improvements - these can be found in the branches.
- Whats This and Pressify will continue slowly, as they operate as a test bed for my professional activities.
- This blog will continue at the usual snail’s pace.
None of this is permanent, so please don’t treat this as my swan song to abandon all my projects. Just simply put - I need to spend more time with family for the now, and I will return.
edited 29th December to improve clarity. Someone messaged me asking if I was quitting, so I reduced some of the harsh toning.